Re: Xantech to control playstation?

On 16 Mar 2006 04:32:25 -0800, "eulaersi" <eulaersivan@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I've decided to install a Xantech IR repeater system within the house
> during the coming weeks (cables were already foreseen).
>
> With the introduction of the new playstation3, I was dreaming if it
> would be possible to put the PS3 in the AV-room (with a long hdmi cable
> towards plasma in living room). In that case I should use my Xantech
> repeater system to control the PS3 through an IR controller.

While the HDMI specification does not limit cable length, it is
intended for runs up to 15 meters.  If you want to exceed that I
would suggest you do a bench test of the proposed components with
a cable at least as long as (preferably 20% longer than) the
final run.  It would be a shame to discover after all is done
that your hardware can't handle the distance.

> If there exists an IR controller for the PS2/PS3, wouldn't it be too
> slow through the Xantech IR repeater system?

Xantech won't slow the signal down.  The only things that matter
are whether you can get the IR signal to the media center (not a
problem) and whether your system will get the A/V back to the
destination room.

> Thanks for dreaming with me

It sounds like a fun project.  I have several nephews who would
be delighted to help you test it out once it's done.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.