Xantech to control playstation?

I've decided to install a Xantech IR repeater system within the house
during the coming weeks (cables were already foreseen).

With the introduction of the new playstation3, I was dreaming if it
would be possible to put the PS3 in the AV-room (with a long hdmi cable
towards plasma in living room). In that case I should use my Xantech
repeater system to control the PS3 through an IR controller.

Would this setup be possible? Ofcourse, we don't know yet the
specifications nor the hardware addons for a PS3, but has anybody
already tried such a setup with his PS2?

If there exists an IR controller for the PS2/PS3, wouldn't it be too
slow through the Xantech IR repeater system?

Thanks for dreaming with me

Ivan