Re: Transmit Wireless RCA

"Bob" <develguy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1150821148.771204.199190@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Yep, I assumed there would be some goofies picked up through the
> wireless transmission.  I was really hoping there would be some
> wireless hardware that could come close.  So, if I decide to take a
> chance with wireless, can anyone recommend the best of the worst?  I
> just saw the Leapfrog product at Best Buy for $100+.

They all seem to be made by the same outfit.  If it looks like a black pack
of cigarettes with a rounded top, I wouldn't expect much from the unit.   If
they say you can get 100' "line of sight" you're really likely to get only
10' - I bought a couple from different vendors but they were all equally
dismal.

> Re: Wiring Cat5/Audio baluns
>
> I think I could figure out how to fish the wire without too much
> trouble.
>
> Any suggestions on where to buy the cat5 and audio baluns?  It looks
> like the baluns are running around $60-$80/pair.  Also, how will the
> remote channel work with this setup?

I deal with Worthington and SmartHome but you'll probably find the wire
locally at Home Depot and the baluns for cheap on Ebay.

The remote IR you can buy from a number of people on the net.  Search on
"wired IR link kit" and you'll find some sites.

IR sending circuits are very simple and extremely easy to build.   A
phototransistor to see the IR from the remote and a IR LED on the other end
to emit the IR control signals and a few other components and you're good to
go.  Lots of commercial stuff like Xantech, too, if you want to spend the
bucks.

FWIW, the latest Supercircuits catalog has an MVL58 5.8GHz "video link" that
might offer acceptable performance and has a built in IR link as well.  It
doesn't appear to be on the website yet:

http://www.supercircuits.com/

it sells for $159.95 and claims 300' so it's really probably only reliable
up to 30' indoors.  YMMV.  They have a very fair return policy, so it might
be worth a look.  The 5.8 band should be a little less crowded than the 2.4
one.

I'd go with hardwiring for several reasons.  Cheaper over all.  Cheaper to
operate.  Those little wall warts all add up.  Plus, you're polluting your
own RF environment and that could be an issue with current or future phone
systems and wireless LAN components.

Even better, you'll get a sense of accomplishment building your own IR
system.  There are lots and lots of really good sites that explain just how
to build these simple systems from $10 worth of parts from Radio Shack. Guy
Lavoie has a lot of great IR extender circuits and thorough documentation.

--
Bobby G.