Re: a stupid X10 sprinkler question

Jeff Volp wrote:
> <hawk007@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > i'm a complete neophite who just learned about the X10 and the garden
> > sprinkling capabilities thereof.
>
> Most of us were in that catagory at one time.
>
> > Having browsed a number of threads discussing products like Rain8 and
> > X10 in general, i'm beginning to get some idea; however, all of the X10
> > discussions and all of the product descriptions i've seen focus on the
> > digital end of it, and none address the water/pipe end of it.  While
> > the latter may be trivial for seasoned auto-irrigators, I am at a
> > complete loss about what to buy/do beyond the device such as Rain8.
> >
> > Q1:  Do I simply connect my multiple (electric) valves to Rain8 and
> > then assign X10 addresses to the corresponding controls in Rain8?
<snip>
> > rheostat, open up to various pressure levels, as specified (water flow
> > diminuation, equivalent to dimming of lights)?
>
> Our Rain8 has four 24VAC switches controllable by X10.  It receives 24VAC
> from a transformer, and then switches that power to one irrigation valve at
> a time.  This one has two programable cycles that can be initiated by a X10
> command, and also allows individual ON/OFF control of each valve by X10
> commands.  The Rain8 controls the standard $10 irrigation valves available
> at your local building supply warehouse.
>
> > Q2:  Regarding the 2-way communication involving "confirmation signals"
> > mentioned here -- http://www.smarthome.com/3125c.html : is the
<snip>
> > (whether they are on or off)?
>
> Most X10 devices are listen only, but there are some specialized devices
> that provide acknowledgement or data in return.  I don't know about an X10
> rain gauge, but there are X10 thermostats.  For our irrigation I do open
> loop control based on time of year and outside temperature.  And then I have
> a Leviton 16400 to kick in an extra cycle whenever things look a little dry.
> Our back yard has about 3 inches of topsoil over lava, so it drys out VERY
> quickly.  The garden drip irrigation must run several times a day during hot
> weather to keep the plants from wilting.
>
> > Q3: at this point I am thinking I'd need to install a water pipe
> > manifold, attach the multiple valves to it, and connect each valve's
> > electrical cable to the Rain8  (the cable happens to at least *look
> > like* the 1/8th" audio plug). Am I way off?
>
> Sounds like you are on the right path.  The valves have that plug, and the
> manifold should provide the means of connection between those plugs and the
> underground multiconductor cable coming from your Rain8.
>
> > Thanks in advance, and apologies for the newbism -- I can't find a
> > comprehensive A-Z schematic that lists *all* the components involved
> > and how they interface.   (My needs are to water a few zones in an
> > average home.)
>
> The Rain8 works great for us, and should for you too.

Thanks!

You are the celebrity who just created the breakthrough XTB signal
booster, aren't you!

I had browsed some postings about the XTB, and it is, of course,
reassuring, for those having second thoughts about investing into the
decades-old X10 technology for the first time.

I have only a vague understanding of electrical circuits, but i did
wonder about reception across the two (110V?) circuits that a home
normally has.  Does the X10 signal reception by a device on one line
worsen significantly when it is broadcast from a device on the other
line?  I realize this may vary from house to house, but perhaps there
is something inherent in the double-line circuit that impedes the
signal across the two subcircuits?

When I set up my X10 system, i'll share any interesting findings here,
but, i'm curious if the XTB is an absolute necessity, in such
cross-line situations.  (I'd order one sooner if that's the case ;-)

Also, the "underground multiconductor cable" you mention was new info;
i'll do some research about it, but if anyone has any other tips
(caveats? such as when moles/voles are on the premises) regarding this
underground cable or anything else, they are, of course, very welcome.

andrew