Re: a stupid X10 sprinkler question

"Andrew" <hawk007@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have only a vague understanding of electrical circuits, but i did
> wonder about reception across the two (110V?) circuits that a home
> normally has.  Does the X10 signal reception by a device on one line
> worsen significantly when it is broadcast from a device on the other
> line?

It often can.  When I was installing a number of X10 items in my house, they
all worked through the summer, then stopped working in the winter. It was
pretty bizarre, I thought, until I got to thinking about just that thing.

With my AC on, the 240v ac compressor motor provided coupling across the two
"phases" of the house. The solution for me was a passive coupler plugged in
to my dryer outlet.  Haven't had any problems since.  But it's a small
house. :)