a stupid X10 sprinkler question

i'm a complete neophite who just learned about the X10 and the garden
sprinkling capabilities thereof.

Having browsed a number of threads discussing products like Rain8 and
X10 in general, i'm beginning to get some idea; however, all of the X10
discussions and all of the product descriptions i've seen focus on the
digital end of it, and none address the water/pipe end of it.  While
the latter may be trivial for seasoned auto-irrigators, I am at a
complete loss about what to buy/do beyond the device such as Rain8.

Q1:  Do I simply connect my multiple (electric) valves to Rain8 and
then assign X10 addresses to the corresponding controls in Rain8?
(Valves such as http://www.rainbird.com/diy/products/valves/cp.htm ,
for example). If so, is there a compatibility issue? Are the required
valves toggled off/on by means of X10-protocol signal or by
presence/absence of current? If by the latter, does something like
Rain8 supply the 24V to the valves ... i realize, I may be completely
off here.  Are there any sophisticated valves that, in the manner of a
rheostat, open up to various pressure levels, as specified (water flow
diminuation, equivalent to dimming of lights)?

Q2:  Regarding the 2-way communication involving "confirmation signals"
mentioned here -- http://www.smarthome.com/3125c.html : is the
confirmation signal a standard part of the X10 protocol, or is it a
feature exclusive to this gadget? Furthermore, is it possible to query
an X10 device to receive data?  In other words, can something like an
X10 rain gauge (is there such a thing?) respond to a query by sending
back rain data?  Can devices send back their current state, on request
(whether they are on or off)?

Q3: at this point I am thinking I'd need to install a water pipe
manifold, attach the multiple valves to it, and connect each valve's
electrical cable to the Rain8  (the cable happens to at least *look
like* the 1/8th" audio plug). Am I way off?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the newbism -- I can't find a
comprehensive A-Z schematic that lists *all* the components involved
and how they interface.   (My needs are to water a few zones in an
average home.)

Andrew