Re: XTB - the Future of X10 has arrived!

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:31:42 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<2PCdnZj2DZvgGRjZnZ2dnUVZ_qOdnZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>"Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> <stuff snipped>
>
>> X-10 became a monopoly during the years their patent was in
>> effect. Their dominance (and installed base) is more a result
>> of that than of technical superiority.
>
>That's an interesting point.  Where were Insteon, UPB and all the rest of
>them back then?  Would they have been stopped by patent infringement?  Of
>the competitors that did show up, like CeBus and Echelon, who still
thrives?
>Centralite's still alive.  Then there's ah, um, I dunno.  Centralite's
still
>alive.  (-:

Bobby,

Like many folks that participate in this newsgroup, your window on what is
available in HA seems to be based on what you afford/prefer/have and what is
in the air and echoes around c.h.a.

That is an exceedingly narrow subset of what goes for HA now-a-days. You
could do everything you want and more by calling up a contractor
specializing in Crestron www.crestron.com/ or www.amx.com/, enter one of
those complete HA worlds, and never think about, see or deal with _any_ of
the devices in the paragraph that you write above. None. In particular, the
hard-wired lighting manufacturer you mention is but one of perhaps a dozen.

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org