Re: XTB - the Future of X10 has arrived!

On 2006-06-04, Robert Green <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Why?  Who wants to be stuck with a dead protocol.  Sure, once you're all
> installed and buy some spares you'll be safe from a belly-up manufacturer
> for a while.  But get hit by lightning that knocks out only half of your
> obsolete stuff and what do you do?  Take it in the shorts.  Or you build an
> addition or want to finish a basement.

I usually just lurk here, but since no one else seems to be saying it, I
have to respond to this.  This attitude is the reason Microsoft is as large
and has as much power as they do.  Years ago many people in decision-making
positions knew they didn't like MS software but chose to use it simply
because of their existing market share.  It made it virtually impossible
for better options to survive in the marketplace and we've all suffered.
If everyone takes that attitude now, we'll see the same thing.  I'm not
looking to start a religious war here.  Some people like(d) MS OSes and
apps.  Some people like(d) X10.  If you choose to use it because it's the
best thing for you, that's perfectly reasonable.  But to choose an old
technology when other (possibly better) options exist simply because the
newer technologies haven't had an opportunity to prove themselves will
forever keep us with the old stuff and stifle progress.

I'm not saying you're wrong for sticking with what you have and adding a
new tool that solves your old problems.  I agree that for you it does sound
like the right choice.  Dave's comment was that new installations should
consider other options.  Unless new users do that, there can't be progress.
Sure, lightening could knock out much of your system.  But if you've got
that much hardware to replace, does it matter which hardware you replace
your whole system with?  Especially if it's a PLC protocol.  You wouldn't
be running new wire for a different network.  No mess.  Just the same
expense of replacing burnt equipment with the same or different stuff.
With controllers like the Elk and others that can handle multiple
protocols, or a translator like Rozetta, I don't see the problem of adding
a new addition on your house and bridging the old with the new.  Ideal?
No.  But I don't think taking a chance on a newer protocol is as risky as
you make it sound.

As for me, I've only been into this stuff for a year now.  The need to
automate was forced on me due to a family disability.  I looked at a lot,
decided I couldn't make a decision in a short time about what I wanted to
do, and dove into the cheapest starting point I could, fully intending to
toss out all the X10 stuff I bought down the road once I had time to figure
out what I really needed.  Basically, X10, a Mac mini, and a homebrew
doorlock controller has been my test bed for what my family needs.  In the
last year, I've learned a lot and made lots of notes, so when I build a
house in the not too distant future, I'll be able to do it right with
whatever I decide to use.  I don't think it will be X10.  If I decide to
stick with X10, it won't be because it's what other people already use.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695