Re: XTB - the Future of X10 has arrived!

> ><stuff snipped>
> >
> >> The fact that several rather large companies chose to work with X-10
(GE,
> >> IBM, RadioShack, Magnavox, RCA, etc.) is probably evidence that they
had a
> >> strong patent.
> >
> >Good point.  I suppose that the exit of all the above (except Ratshack)
> >indicates the patent was stronger than the underlying technology!
>
> Or that the market was too small to sustain their interest.

I agree that was a factor, but I think there had to be more to it than that.
So *many* companies, one after the other, got in and got out that it leads
me to believe support costs and issues were more than they ever expected.
After all, X-10 doesn't tell end users that there are grave potential
problems, why should they have behaved differently towards those making OEM
deals with them.

As and end-user I profited from nearly every abandonment because stores sold
that remaindered gear at less than half price - sometimes far less.

--
Bobby G.