Re: My latest cool DIY automation idea

> I wonder if there's enough space to mount two LEDs and two detectors?  I
> was
> going to use the pressure mats to make direction of motion estimates, but
> dual IR beam would work as well as long as I could tell which fired first.

There's another solution that you might want to consider.  Visonic makes a
"SPY 1" motion detector that can be mounted in a wall or the ceiling close
to the door.  These are PIR detectors in a very small package that fits into
a hole in the sheetrock.

The advantages of the SPY are (1) it's much less expensive than most pulsed
IR beam detectors; (2) it's physically smaller than all but one of the
active IR beams used for security and (3) the SPY only entails a single
wired device per location, whereas most active IR devices have both an
emitter and a receiver.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass