Re: The Energy Detective versus X-10

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:03:45 GMT, Reg <reg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Jack Edin wrote:
>
>> I don't think TED will play nice with X10.
>>
>> I asked prior to not buying...
>>
>> You can remove the repeater, if you use the XTB on your controller(s)...
>>
>> http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/xtb_files.htm
>>
>> Not sure this'll help TED's situation.
>>
>> The company who made TED promised a new version by end of Summer, or was
>> it year end?
>>
>> I'm waiting for THAT!
>

>Plus the 5000 model, also not yet released, is supposed to
>support an external interface for accessing the data. A
>required feature, IMO. It's not very useful without it.

  I did get some interesting numbers out of it while it was up and running,
but yeah, I really wanted the 5000 model also.

  I got a reply from the manufacturer and they admit they've had a few
reports about X-10 problems.  They told me that TED uses a 136Khz carrier
and that some X-10 hardware has a wide enough receiver bandpass to hear
it and try to react.  In my case, I noticed I had a problem when I saw
lights on that normally are only on at night and I couldn't turn them
back off again.  After investigation, anything on the same phase TED was
on was pretty much screwed.

  This isn't looking like it's going to work, but they did offer to let
me return the unit for a refund.