Re: splitting composite video signal

In article <1151838087.081134.97870@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   <listerofsmeg01@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,

> I have several closed circuit cameras running composite video over
> RG59.

> The plan is to terminate these into a video sender so that I can
> recieve them anywhere in the house with a reciever.

> However, I would also like to feed them into a PC with grabber card.

> Can I just split the cable with a phono splitter or something? Or will
> this cause too much interferance and noise? If not, what do I need to
> be able to do this?

What you probably need is a composite video distribution amplifier. Unlike
most audio, video signals need to be properly terminated and buffered
rather than a passive split.

However, they can be daisy chained if the termination is removed from
intermediate devices and just left on the end one, but this would probably
mean modifying the equipment.

This is one supplier of DAs - but there are many makes, types and
suppliers so you'll have to do the searching for best value.
http://www.avtoolbox.co.uk/distributionpage.html

You could also check Ebay for secondhand pro ones as composite isn't much
in use these days in broadcasting.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

    Dave Plowman        dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           London SW
                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.