Re: Audio ditribution for security purposes

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:03:20 -0400, "Bill Stock" <me7@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message  <4iqe75F51b16U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I've been living with [specify wireless device or system here]  for my
>home automation PC for the last few years. These have not been too bad
>for the price, except the  occasional [specify unreliable behaviour
>here].

>My first thought was to just wire up [specify device]. I also considered
>getting a couple [alternative here], but they seem a little pricey for
>the benefit. Although I imagine [ device property] should >
[decrease/increase] substantially.

>Any better ideas that would offer more functionality, without breaking
>the bank? Are the new wireless [specify device]  any better/more secure?

First question is whether you can install 'hard' wiring. If so, wired is
almost always more dependable than wireless especially for the long term
because the electrical/electronic environment changes and what kinda sorta
worked OK when first installed is prone to get broken as new sources of
interference emerge.

Second question is what do you mean by "functionality"?

Listed below are some common uses of audio in home automation. In general,
the challenge is integrating the various audio functions with each other
and with other HA subsystems in a way that actual users find helpful
rather than distracting.

Which of these functions are you asking about? Most can be related in some
significant way to "Audio di[s]tribution for security purposes".

1) Emergency announcements
	a) Sirens, bells, buzzers
	b) Static recorded messages (voice, dog bark, etc)
	c) Synthesized audio messages
2) Voice control (eg of HA controller)
	a) Input only
	b) Input with audio response
3) Music
	a) Background (mono/stereo)
	b) Foreground, often with video
4)Intercom (w/ and w/o video)
	a) Announcement only (aka 'doorbell')
	b) Two way
	c) n-way
5) Telephone
	a) As portal for HA control
		(i) voice control
		(ii) keypad control
	b) Extension of telephone functions (voice mail,
		ring distribution and control, recording etc )
6) Environmental sensing
	a) Security (including vibration detection)
	b) Monitoring (barking dog, HVA noise, etc)
	c) Recording
7) Device/Function feedback
	a) Confirmation of security system functions
		(eg, Napco's "EVA".
	b) Feedback on HA control status
		(eg Homeseer, Elk MG1)

Which of these functions are you asking about? Commercially subsystems are
available for most, although not necessarily "without breaking the bank".

IME, the challenge for the DIYer is the interrelationship and dependency
of functions and subsystems especially those that are not readily
distilled to a binary trigger or outcome (Event/NotEvent).

In this context of comprehensive and interconnected input, output, and
distribution subsystems,  matrix mixers (audio and video) become very
useful if not indispensable. (I recently posted in comp.home.automation
about availability of relatively inexpensive, surplus Ivie brand automatic
mixers).

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org