Re: Trash-Bot

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:18:24 GMT, the renowned "BruceR"
>
> >British word for sausage.
>
> As in "Bangers & mash", British (not so haute) cusine:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangers_and_mash
>
> Apparently (I don't see anything definitive on it) bangers are
> so-called because they were made of particularly poor quality
> ingredients during WWII and tended to pop when cooked. J. Woodgate
> would know for sure, but I hesitate to add sci.lang.translation to the
> list.

Yes, I reckon a 'banger' would be a poor example.

There are some absolutely fabulous sausages around these days. A favouite of
mine is pork and apple.

Some of the finest sausages are traditionally made locally. We used to have here
a combination 'wet fish shop' and game butcher. They made some remarkable
sauasges containing all manner of exotic ingrediaents and had numerous awards on
display. Sadly the demand for such shops ahs been in decline as supermarkets
offer a wider range of produce and it's now closed.

Sauage and mash is great comfort food btw and a 'pub-fare' classic !

Graham