Re: Advice on Patch Panel to Patch Panel Config

> Thank you very much everyone. i really appreciate it. I am going to
> price out some panels and try both ways. I have over 1000' of cable and
> worse case they are only $90 for a box, so if i screw up, no problemo.
> i have a couple of "test" slots on the existing panel i will use
> anyway.

It'd probably help if you described what sort of setup you've got currently
and how you want to deal with moving it.  If it's a naked patch panel just
nailed up to a plywood board that's one thing.  But if it's one of them
newfangled structured wiring boxes with inserts and such it's a whole other
set of issues.

I found a deal on ebay for some 2 foot RJ45 cables.  They work great for
bridging from the back of my CAV66 to a nearby patch panel.  If you end up
with two panels side-by-side search around for the shortest possible cables.
No sense having a lot of extra wire.

Also bear in mind that Ethernet does have distance limits.  350' (~100m) if
I recall correctly.  That and take care whatever you use to make the
'interconnect' that you not only don't exceed the distance but that you
don't degrade it below which your network speed requires.  10mb can run on
damn near anything (wet string).  100mb will likewise work on just about
anything as long as you don't push distances.  GigE, on the other hand, is
quite picky.  Just make sure whatever you put in rises to meet at least the
specs of the wire you've already got installed.  Don't just use cheapie
telco bridging stuff if it's not rated at /least/ CAT5.