Re: Home IR Control

"Lewis Gardner" <lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:43d049cf$1_1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > <stuff snipped>
> >
> >>Unfortunately (as you now realize) you wasted a good bit of
> >>money on the Powermids.
> >
> > Have to disagree on that.  I think I got three sets for under $100 and
that
> > was at least 10 years ago.  Once I learned how to place them (deep
inside a
> > bookcase, mostly, away from other electronics and direct light) and
zoned
> > them using appliance modules (they are only on when needed) they worked
out
> > pretty nicely.
>
> Since you quoted Worthington prices than you know that a complete 3
> receiver 4 emitter Xantech setup would cost less than $200.

That's not a price that seemed obvious to me.  With single emitters at $65
and all sorts of other connectors and accessories  my new project comes out
way higher than that.  I know you're comparing the present value of the
Powermids to a comparable Xantech setup, but when I jettison or rework the
Powermids, I intend to end up with 8 IR I/O points.

> By  the time you bought the Powermids ($100 in 1995 =
> $124 in 2005) and X-10 stuff  (at least $30) and figured out
> how to make it work the price seems to be a wash to me.

Nah.  I've moved twice since acquiring the Powermids so the time I didn't
spend running cable is considerable.  They are used very infrequently
although I suspect that's going to change as I move toward a more
centralized A/V layout.  If I can modify them so that something more
attractive to the wife than scratched, smoky plastic pyramids I might even
just keep on using them.  It all depends on whether I can talk to the
various IR-capable appliances that have resisted the UR24A learning remote.

> >>If you are into soldering and can figure out a
> >>circuit you might try replacing the sensors in the Powermids with Vishay
> >>units.
> >
> > That may be a little beyond me unless it's literally as simple as
pulling
> > out one three-legged IR receiver package and soldering in another.  What
> > would be even better is if I could remove the IR eye from the Powermid
and
> > put it on a long stalk so I could conceal it in something artsy for high
> > SAF.
>
> Not a "long stalk" but a piece of two conductor shielded cable would
> most likely work. Check the Powermids, if they use a 3 pin IR module it
> might be as easy as a straight replacement. Be sure to check voltages.
> What have you got to loose?

Not much.  When I get my CPUXA setup and some tests done I might get to that
part of the puzzle.  No sense in setting up a transport layer for IR if I
can't command it via the CPUXA.

> > I'm betting that the CFL resistant IR receiver is probably more of a
Vishay
> > achievement than a Xantech one - by which I mean the smarts to reject
CFL is
> > probably in the 3 pin Vishay receiver and not downstream in the Xantech
> > circuitry.
>
> The Xantech 291-80 CFL friendly receivers have 2 IR modules, 4 or 5
> transistors and about 15 other components in them. Not included in the
> parts count but included in the reasonable (to me) price is over 20
> years of experience in IR repeater systems. Unless you needed a bunch of
> IR receivers and have lots of time on your hands I can't see the economy
> of DIY on this item.

Well, that changes the equation somewhat.  I'm not experiencing much trouble
with the Powermids these days.  It may be just enough to hide them in a
reconstituted Hummel figurine with enough light baffling to keep stray light
out.

> Best of luck.

I'll report back on what I decide to do.

--
Bobby G.