Re: Home IR Control

Robert Green wrote:
> I've been hoping to replace my Powermid IR control net with something
> hardwired that's more reliable in terms of RF and stray light immunity but
> the price of Xantech equipment blows me away.  Are they any home-brew IR
> systems that people are using out there for a small, 8 room setup?

Just don't think you are going to get the performance with home-brew
that you will get out of a Xantech system. Their IR receivers especially
the 291-80 CFL friendly ones are quite good. I have even seen them work
in sunlight.

If you do want to build something the Vishay line of IR modules are the
best I have worked with.

I tend to build a bunch of stuff but I wouldn't spend my time trying to
replicate the plug and play ease and functionality of the $80 Xantech
291-KIT/RP. Unfortunately (as you now realize) you wasted a good bit of
money on the Powermids. If you are into soldering and can figure out a
circuit you might try replacing the sensors in the Powermids with Vishay
units. Not wired Xantech reliability but cheap, fixes a big problem (IR
noise) and requires no wire.