Re: DWV pipe sounds (Was Re: Leviton Intellisense Vs Others)

> ... The density of the cast iron is what keeps it quiet. Wrapping
> with insulation won't be easy in a 4" or 6" wall. The sound is
> magnified if the ABS (plastic) pipe is touching the drywall. If
> you can get to the ABS to insulate it, just cut it out and replace
> it with cast iron. It's not difficult at all.

In a lot of new homes I've seen the wet wall is insulated to
attenuate sound from the pipes.  If you have access during
construction you can do a few thing yourself.  Sound proof
studios for audio recording employ double sheet rock walls,
separated by a layer of high density foam.  You can get almost as
good results by installing thin fiberglass insulation batts
against the back side of the sheet rock between the studs.
Sandwich these with a layer of 5/8" sheet rock.  It's a PITA
cutting and inserting the sheet rock between the studs but the
difference is significant.

I did much the same thing in the ceiling of my basement level
home theater room some years ago.  It almost completely
eliminated noise in the living room above.

>  Another tip: Build your floors out of 3/4" tongue & groove (T&G)
> plywood glued to the joists and screwed - not nailed - to prevent
> bouncing and squeaks.

True.  Also use screws instead of nails for the cross-braces
between the joists.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass