Switching audio via an Ocelot and SECU's

I was so impressed by John Warner's Ocelot-based home audio that I decided
to build one like it.  I want to place PC amplified speakers throughout the
house in zones corresponding to the 12 IR zones I have established (actually
it will be one set of speaker for every two zones).  I want to be able to
mute the audio, simulate "distinctive rings" based on caller ID (if it's one
of my wife's VIP #'s it rings one way, mine another, etc).  I want to be
able to pipe front door and speakerphone conversations through it as well.

My question is this:  How do I switch all of the audio feeds through a SECU
without inducing hum or sharp "snap" transients?  What kind of cable should
I run?  Should I remove the amps from the speakers and mount them in the
wire room and just have normal speaker wire going to the speaker boxes?
What kind of relay would switch a 38W Sound Blaster speaker without burning
itself or the relay out?  Any ideas will be helpful!

--
Bobby G.