Re: Home IR Control

news:43d1aab1.686982390@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> That's probably as good as any. If you have other things to buy, you can
> save a couple of bucks by buying the IR receivers at Mouser. Mouser has no
> minimum and will ship Priority Mail. I frequently use them for small
orders.

Much cheaper than RatShack, too.  Since I posted my last message I can
across two sites that advise avoiding the RS part anyway.  This one:

http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html

said:

Radio Shack 276-640
Warning: There have been reports that the signal quality these receivers
produce is very unstable. YMMV. If possible use another receiver IC.

and listed a few dozen alternates including the ones you've listed.

>      http://www.mouser.com/catalog/624/91.pdf
>
> Any of the FIG I & J Vishay 36kHz or 38kHz receivers (bottom section) will
> do.
>
> One limitation of the design is that it demodulates all of the received IR
> and transmits just the demodulated data envelope over the wires. It then
> assumes a 38kHz carrier when it reconstitutes it for output. I would
> probably use a 36kHz receiver as it will cover the most common carriers
> (32-40kHz).

How can I tell what frequency my remotes operate on?  I have an A/C, a space
heater, a video switchbox and drape controller that I am trying to unite
under an Ocelot-controlled automation program.  I've already had trouble
teaching three of the devices to my X-10 learning remote which leads me to
believe they incorporate a non-standard IR control method.

> I don't know how the high priced spreads do it but I would prefer to
> preserve the carrier as there are more and more devices using carriers
> outside the 32-40kHz range. You'll notice there are 455kHz and 33-57kHz
> receivers.

If I read you right, I would be better off using an IR receiver that cost
more because it's likely to handle a larger number of devices?

--
Bobby G.