Re: Creating a home Ethernet out of installed but unused Cat 5

In article <NJeDf.28601$H71.10851@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Herb Stein <herb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> While not optimum, I have  to disagree. The best solution, of course, is
>> to run a new cable. However, running a phone line and ethernet in the same
>> cat5 jacket should present little or no problem IF DONE CORRECTLY. I've
>> done it many times for the sake of expediency and have never had a
>> problem. I've even added 12vdc on the 4th pair and still had no problems.
>> Just make absolutely sure your connections are done properly.
>
>The whole point of TIA-568B (and A) by AT&T was to allow the computer
>network and
>telephone to occupy the same sheath. It might be "iffy" with 100 Mb or
>1000Mb LAN
>connections, but I'd say it's worth a try. If it's a problem (speed, etc.)
>just go wireless.

You can share the cable for 10baseT or 100baseT, but 1000baseT uses all
4 pairs, so there are no pairs left to share.

If the cable is at least cat3, it will support 10baseT. 100baseT requires
cat5.

Is this cable home run from each jack to the terminal, or is it daisy chained
from one jack to another?

Bob Vaughan  | techie @ tantivy.net 		  |
	     | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --