Re: Home IR Control

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>How can I tell what frequency my remotes operate on?  I have an A/C, a space
>heater, a video switchbox and drape controller that I am trying to unite
>under an Ocelot-controlled automation program.  I've already had trouble
>teaching three of the devices to my X-10 learning remote which leads me to
>believe they incorporate a non-standard IR control method.

Without an oscilloscope and a photodiode, you can guess. ;)

You can build the CIR device at...

     http://www.ziplabel.com/cir/index.html

and use the free software supplied to find the carrier frequency. I haven't
tried that on anything later than W98Se so don't know whether it will work
on later systems.

You can also buy USB-UIRT and capture the codes in Pronto CCF format which
has become the lingua franca for IR codes. I have tried it on later systems.

>If I read you right, I would be better off using an IR receiver that cost
>more because it's likely to handle a larger number of devices?

You don't read me right.

If your remotes use carrier frequencies outside the most common range of
32-40kHz, the home brewed system I cited will do you no good because it can
only receive and replay ~38kHz.

The CPU-XA/Ocelot/Leopard can only receive in the 32-40kHz range (they use
an earlier Vishay 36kHz receiver) but can play back other carriers if you
know the carrier and program it accordingly. (I don't recall the range - ask
on the ADI forum - but I don't think it can do the B&O 455 kHz.)

Some A/C and other controls use codes which are too long for the ADI
devices. And, as I noted earlier, there are an increasing number of devices
using esoteric carrier frequencies.

Your starting point really should be to learn what carriers and codes you
need to transport. The USB-UIRT is well worth its cost but you'll have to
come up with your own excuse when the wife comes across it. ;)

There is software to convert from CCF to ADI's format but you'll have to
chase that down on your own. I haven't kept track and am busy with other
things.

BTW, if you replace the IR receiver inside the ADI devices (or build your
own plug-in unit) with the TSOP1100 you can receive a much wider range of
carriers *BUT* you still need to know the carrier for playback as the
firmware assumes ~36kHz.

Maybe you can get Jeff Volp to experiment with the TSOP1100 as a plug-in IR
receiver for ADI.