Re: Xantech IR extenders.

lostaussie@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Can anyone explain the differences between the CPL10 RF/IR Coupler and
> the INJ94 RF/IR Injector / CPL94B RF/IR Coupler.

The CPL10 is a universal input/output RF/IR device. It can either inject
or output IR from a coax cable. As such it requires a external
connecting block (typically a CB12) to get power into the system.

The INJ94 is essentially a CPL10 with a CB12 built in.

The CPL94 is essentially a CPL10 with 2 emitter jacks.

Here are some data sheets:
http://xantech.com/products/i_folder/i_cpl10.pdf
http://xantech.com/products/i_folder/i_injcpl.pdf
http://xantech.com/products/i_folder/i_29110.pdf

> I have a Media Center Edition MCE computer in one room but the Dual
> Tuner Satellite Set Top Box STB that provides the signal is in a
> different room and due to wiring I can't easily put the two together. I
> have COAX going from the STB to the MCE computer.

If you have a unused coax that goes between the two locations then you
could just use that coax to extend the IR emitter wire. No couplers
required.

> The MCE needs to be able to send IR commands to the STB in order to
> change channel etc. My initial thought was to use an pyramid style IR
> extender which would mean sticking the blaster cable onto the IR sensor
> of the transmitter and putting the receiver in front of the STB. This
> should work but I have not heard great things about these devices.
>
> I have seen some people mention Xantech products but am unable to find
> easy information on which units I would need.
>
> The MCE uses a mono headphone type adaptor for the IR blaster cable
> which I believe is similar to Tivo. Ideally I would like to take a male
> to male cable from the MCE box and plug straight into a Xantech COAX
> distribution transmitters sending the signal back up the COAX to a
> receiver where I could plug the actual IR Blaster cable in and attach
> to the STB.

You could try a direct connection using either a INJ94 or a CPL10/CB12
and a power supply on the MCE end and a CPL10 on the STB end.

If you use the INJ94 you will need to make a custom cable. Connect the
tip of a 1/8" mono plug to the tip of a 1/8" stereo plug. This is the
signal path. For ground connect the ring of the 1/8" mono plug to the
ring of the 1/8" stereo plug. The ring on the stereo plug is the small
part between the tip and sleeve. Plug the power supply into the INJ942.

If you use a CPL10/CB12 combination get a 1/8" mono plug and connect the
tip to the CB12 "S" terminal and the ring to the "G" terminal. Plug the
power supply into the CB12. This is the easiest to wire option if you
don't have the soldering skills to make a custom cable. Here is the
parts list:

2 CPL10 couplers
1 CB12 connecting block
1 781RG power supply
1 1/8" mono plug on a wire
1 283M emitter?

A better option which maintains electrical isolation is to use a IR
receiver at the MCE end. A 291-10 would be my choice. Simply stick the
MCE emitter to the front of the 291-10 which would be connected to a
INJ94. The coax would carry the signal to either a CPL10 or a CPL94 at
the STB end. In some cases the MCE emitter may overload the 291-10 in
which case unsticking the emitter from the 291-10 and moving it away can
cure the problem. Here is the parts list:

1 INJ94 injector
1 CPL10 coupler
1 291-10 IR receiver
1 781RG power supply
1 283M emitter

I have not mentioned emitters in any of these descriptions but obviously
you will need one for the STB (unless you reuse the one you have which
may or may not work properly with the Xantech parts). I like the 283M
emitters since you can see them blink.

Best of luck!