Re: x10 vs wireless network

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:12:29 GMT, Jeff Volp wrote:

> "Neil Cherry" <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> Also their lamp module has a high bulb burn out rate (certain
>> low watt bulbs purn out faster if on a lamp module than on an
>> appliance module).
>
> I saw this reported before, but really don't understand the mechanism.  The

You may have read my report, I'm not aware of anyone else report this
problem (though others may have it too).

> turn on surge is a bulb killer, and that should be the same for either type
> of module.  Some bulbs will "sing" when dimmed.  Maybe that mechanical
> vibration causes the life to be shortened.  But that would be the same on
> any dimmer module, not just X10.  There is certainly nothing unique about
> the X10 protocol that would cause bulb life to be shortened.

I think it may be the X10 quality as opposed to the protocol both the
lmap module and wall switch (cheap push button one) are made by X10
and not the Pro stuff.

> We actually have experienced very good life with incandescent bulbs here.
> All our X10 switches are the Leviton type that ramp up and down over several
> seconds.  I also do that with plug-in modules via a series of bright or dim
> commands from the Ocelot.  (For this to work, they are set to max dim
> instead of off.)

Mine are turned off and I never use the dim or bright commands. It was
simply a matter of convience that I used the lamp module for the hutch
lamps. The switch was used in the garage because it was so ugly I
wouldn't use it in the house.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site