Re: x10 vs wireless network

On 25 Feb 2006 04:53:41 -0800, Lew wrote:
> Aha!  The X10 stuff should work okay if I use 110V-outlet-based
> equipment, eh?
>
> Overall, what is your opinion of how the X10 equipment works when being
> controlled by a computer?

!@#$% you just threw a hand grenade into a mine field! ;-)

I'm one of X10's critics, it can be tempermental but can be
controlled.  While I can control the sending and receiving of signals
I can't control X10's quality (other venders have better quality). I
have a switch in the garage that needs to be 'woken up' by manually
using it every once in a while then it works fine for months. I don't
think it was meant for a garage environment (near outside usage). Also
their lamp module has a high bulb burn out rate (certain low watt
bulbs purn out faster if on a lamp module than on an appliance
module).

> I want to have a system that mainly controls lights -- dimming, and
> turning on when someone walks into an area (temporarily lighting up
> stairways, etc.).  I'd also like a pseudo-emergency setting that turns
> on all the outside lights and many of the inside lights.

> While I'm at it, I think I'll have the computer control the four HVAC
> zones in the house.

This is just a matter of getting the correct hardware and software.
But you'll need to do some programming. How much progamming depends on
the software you use.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site