Re: CM17A versions - any difference?

<stuff snipped>

> >Yes - it was the latter usage I was considering.  I don't have any X-10
> >universal remotes I want to cannibalize but I sure have lots of CM17A's!
>
> The skinnier CM17A is best then. You'll need to remove the PIC (or replace
> it with one of your own).

You mean the little black flyspeck? (I finally opened it and was pretty
surprised at how few components there were on the board.)  I might be able
to remove it if they shrank me down like the crew in "Fantastic Voyage"
otherwise, it's very dubious.

> X-10 uses the same RF transmitter design in all of
> their products (prior to the CM15A).

So I can also pull one out of a TM-751?  I have even more of those in the
"butchered by Bobby box" than I do CM-17As!

> You can find a schematic at the FCC
> site - look for one of your remotes. I know the one for the UR84A is there
> (your ATI remote). While it uses a SAW, the basic circuit is the same. You
> just need to supply +5V, GND & Signal.

I was interested in this mostly to find a way to use my wireless weather
transmitters and log their data.  The transmitters seem to be quite robust
and their batteries last a long time.  While it might be nice to also have a
hard-wired temperature sensor net, there are times when the wireless version
is quite useful.  My wife uses them to keep watch over seed beds - the
newest ones I have even have a temperature alert feature.

It's also made me wonder whether the best overall HA design would be
autonomous units like the Oregon S's weather stations and Waterbugs
reporting to a central HA PC and controllable from it, but able to operate
independently of it if the need arises.

--
Bobby G.