Re: Best brand coax and F connector for HD cable?

In article <boQMf.944$fL3.89@fed1read01>, "Walker" <walkerent@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I don't know the details of your problems with the cable company but I've
> had different results from different techs and what one guy claimed as
> gospel was dispelled by another. The guys that come to your house are
> generally trouble shooters with rudimentary skills and it's sheer luck to
> get someone who is actually knowledgeable beyond his work boundaries. I had
> a problem with my internet connection as well and the first two techs did
> exactly what you said and walked away. However, the third guy switched out
> the splitter that I was using at the wall and unhooked another splitter and
> a cable that I was using to run a TV signal into the comouter. He said that
> the TV and internet video signals were not compatible and that I would need
> a switch and use one or the other. He didn't have a technical explanation
> but it's worked perfectly since.

He didn't have a technical explanation because he was wrong.  Most cable
internet connectivity failures occur because the upstream channel fails
and the head end doesn't "hear" your modem's requests.  Splitters
attenuate the signal in both directions and, in your case, probably
dropped the upstream channel levels too low.

I have one splitter where the cable enters the house.  One leg feeds the
cable modem only and the other leg is amplified and split several times
before terminating.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
                   7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF