Re: Z-Wave RF range

"Steve" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have some of the new Leviton units on order and the HS  controller as
>well.  I intend to do range checks in several residences and will be glad to
>publish the results when I get a chance to do some structured testing.  A
>key point for me will be the ability to reach outbuildings as well as around
>a large home.  I should have them this month.
>
>Has anyone else here with Z-wave devices done range checks?

The only ones I recall were by a dealer, Brian Dye (free air), a user of
Charmed Quark referenced by Dean Roddey (free air) and the one in the UK
that I referenced (free air). Zensys claims 100' in free air and that's
consistent with other radio modules subject to the same FCC power limits. My
experience is that translates to 20-25' indoors for reliable links. Other
manufacturers using transceivers subject to the same FCC power limits say
~25'. Manufacturers and dealers tend to be more optimistic than users.

There was also a white paper by Echelon (competitor of Z-Wave, Insteon, et
al) that, despite being from a competitor, used excellent methodology and
was done by a couple of engineers with good reputations. I would take all
those things into account when reading it.

http://www.echelon.com/support/documentation/analysis/005-0171A_RF_White_Paper.pdf

Real world measurements under real world conditions (e.g. wall dimmers in
metal boxes) by an end user would be welcomed by anyone trying to decide on
which of the new technologies to buy.

The fact that Zensys feels it necessary to deliberately misrepresent things
vis-a-vis ZigBee in their FAQ is just one more reason to be wary.

http://davehouston.net