Re: Z-Wave RF range

> Zensys claims 100' in free air...
> My experience is that translates
> to 20-25' indoors for reliable links.

Having installed thousands of wireless transmitters of similar power in residences, I can state that Mr. Houston is wrong.  Typical
indoor range is from 50-70% of the rated free air range.  Most of the transmitters we installed are security devices in the 315mHz
to 900mHz range.  Quality of these devices had improved dramatically over the past 30 years.  Signal strength, however, has remained
about the same -- 100mW max.  Signal propogation in typical residencial construction is good enough that even the basic stuff we
used decades ago could handle 4,000+ sf homes.

Those old systems didn't use repeating nodes.  Each transmitter had to reach the receiver on its own.  Z-Wave uses the 900MHz bands.
(908.42MHz US / 868.42MHz Europe).  I have 900mHz devices in use in my current 3,800 sf home and they reach almost everywhere
without benefit of a receiver.  These include telephones, wireless LAN, etc.

Mr. Houston, in his zeal to denegrate all things not X10, would have you believe that all of the populat 900mHz wireless phones have
a an operational limit of 20-25 feet.  That is preposterous.  Heh, speaking of "fishy".  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics