Re: Z-Wave RF range

"Robert L Bass" <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:xI-dnUpAFPS-EBzYnZ2dnUVZ_t6qnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> It may be even worse than I thought...
>
> Rather, it's much better than what you claimed.  The following is from the
> Z-Wave FAQ:
>
> Q. Zigbee representatives claim a better range for ZigBee 2.4GHz than
> Z-Wave
>
> A. This claim is untrue. The Z-Wave sub-1 GHz FSK radio has a superior
> communication range compared to 2.4 GHz DSSS radios. There are two main
> reasons for this. Firstly, the sensitivity of the Z-Wave radios is
> approximately 6 db better than a 15.4 DSSS radio. Secondly, the physical
> propagation range of a 868/915 MHz signal is approximately 2.5 times the
> equivalent 2.4GHz signal..
>
> BTW, Mr Houston has claimed (weithout ever having actuially tested it)
> that Z-Wave suffers from severely limited range due to the max number of
> hops.  What he fails to mention is that Z-Wave will seek the best routing
> and that with a macximum of 232 nodes, the system has a much better chance
> of "getting through" than simpler systems.  Also, with a conservative
> distance of 30' between nodes and the controller located in a central
> position Z-Wave could handle a home that is 180' x 180'.

I have some of the new Leviton units on order and the HS  controller as
well.  I intend to do range checks in several residences and will be glad to
publish the results when I get a chance to do some structured testing.  A
key point for me will be the ability to reach outbuildings as well as around
a large home.  I should have them this month.

Has anyone else here with Z-wave devices done range checks?