Re: Ethernet-based systems for DIY?

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:06:05 GMT, Tommi Herva wrote:
> Don Stratton kirjoitti:
[snip]
>> . . . module I thought would be a good idea
>> (multiple A/D, multiple GPIO and video inputs with ethernet out back to
>> the base), checked the net to find nothing quite like it, and am
>> intrigued by the idea of developing it into a full-fledged commercial
>> product.  My thinking is that systems like this should be more cellular
>> in nature, and this DAQ would seem to allow for all home security
>> sensing needs, some or all of home monitoring needs, easy as hell for
>> DIY installation  . . .
[snip]
> I'm thinking of doing something alike. There really isn't any good
> choices for doing what you want (or I haven't found one). The tibbo
> suggested earlier costs >50$ and you need hardware around it too.
> Have a look at http://www.tuxgraphics.org/electronics/
> this is one approach I'm considering. It certainly isn't fast enough to
> deliver video, audio could be possible, but this would make for a cheap
> networked data acquisition. AVR's have A/D and GPIO built in. Cost per
> unit in small quantities is quite low ~15$. Mix in power over ethernet,
> and you've got yourself a good start.

I'm looking for similar suggestions, but with more emphasis on
getting the first copy running quickly and cheaply. Since I'm
counting engineering time as a cost, I'd happily pay $200 more
for hardware if it saves a week of engineering. Accordingly, I'm
hoping to find a single-board computer that boots Linux from
some kind of flash filesystem, plugs into my house ethernet,
has a handful of analog inputs and digital outputs, and runs
ssh and some kind of web server.

Likely candidates appear to be
 http://www.embeddedarm.com/epc/prod-matrix-arm.php
 http://www.steroidmicros.com/micros/micro.aspx?ID=WF-5282
 http://www.applieddata.net/products_bitsyX.asp
I have the feeling Gumstix is likely to have something, too,
but when I try to use their web page, I always end up going
in circles: http://www.gumstix.com.

If anybody is familiar with these systems, or others that
may be better suited, I'd appreciate hearing about it.