Re: Ethernet-based systems for DIY?

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:09:01 GMT, Tommi Herva
<extin@poista_tämä_tästä_suomi24.fi> wrote in message
<1lXfh.255$_z6.127@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Marc_F_Hult kirjoitti:
>>> I'm thinking of doing something alike. There really isn't any good
>>> choices for doing what you want (or I haven't found one). The tibbo
>>> suggested earlier costs >50$ and you need hardware around it too.
>>> Have a look at http://www.tuxgraphics.org/electronics/
>>> this is one approach I'm considering. It certainly isn't fast enough to
>>> deliver video, audio could be possible, but this would make for a cheap
>>> networked data acquisition. AVR's have A/D and GPIO built in. Cost per
>>> unit in small quantities is quite low ~15$. Mix in power over ethernet,
>>> and you've got yourself a good start.
>>

>> The idea of distributed I/O with ethernet/internet connection has been
>> implemented and marketed since at least 1999 when Savoy introduced CyberHouse
>> , a client server that could communicated with many, many specialized devices
>> ( eg thermostats, X-10 and several different hardwired lighting systems, spa
>> controls, IR control, security panels, audio, video, and so on) as well as
>> general purpose I/O over RS-485 twisted pair via up to 32  Elk MM443S (four
>> analog in, 4-10amp relays, timers, counters, RT clock, temperature in a
>> single, small, wall-mountable, paintable module) and related accessories
>> (I-button keyfob entry, recorded/able audio, etc).
>>
>> The concept of an AVR + ethernet module was implement and marketed by about
>> 2000-1 when Netmedia introduced the BX-24, LCD+ and Siteplayer.
>>
>> The small processor + POE + TCP/IP concept scales upward to Pentium PC's
>> small enough to be installed in a US wall switch box and powered by POE but
>> powerful enough to deliver full-motion video (available from, eg Dell
>> Business division/sales).
>>
>> Where in that continuum do you want to be?  What is the market? What cost
>> point? Who will write the software?
>>
>> .... Marc
>> Marc_F_Hult
>> www.ECONtrol.org
>
>I'm sorry I didn't state that my goals were non-commercial. All of above
>I allready knew, all bit too expensive for my liking. What I'm looking
>for is open-sourced hard/software.
>
>Dave:
>AVR just cause I like them over PIC's.
>
>It is also quite hard to get some of these to Finland :)

Okay, so AVR is writ in stone.

How would you program it? This determines in part who you could also have
working with you. For example, I have BASCOM for AVR  http://www.mcselec.com/
which can be used with (eg) the AVR 128 or even more powerful successors
including perhaps with CAN or built in hard-wired lighting (eg AT90PWM1 )
control and zigbee (eg ATmega256RZBV) But don't use C (eg AVR-GCC) or assembly
language tools for AVR. An open source project using BASIC would attract a
different group than one with C.

I have a pair of  www.bdmicro.com/ M128 boards which are more powerful than
BX-24 and successors previously mentioned and can recommend the company's
products.

In my opinion, and open-community/source project around AVR's coded in BASIC
could thrive. I, for one, would pay less attention to one based on C code.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org