Re: Smarthome PowerLinc 1132B frequent failures

googlegroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I use a PowerLinc 1132B [http://www.smarthome.com/1132b.html] with a
>Ware Brothers sprinkler controller [http://www.warebrothers.com].  It
>sends X10 signals to control landscape lighting.
>
>The 1132B fails fairly often, perhaps every six months or so.
>Monitoring the X10 signals with another unit and the Synapse PC
>software shows symptoms of seemingly garbled commands.
>
>I order another unit and replace it, and the symptoms clear.  But then
>several months later, the same problem recurs.
>
>One highly unscientific test:  Malfunctioning units seem to smell of
>burnt electronics, although opening the units doesn't reveal any
>visible damage.
>
>Judging by other posts on the newsgroup, the 1132B suffers from a
>reputation of poor quality.  But I don't see an easy alternative, as
>it's the only unit available compatible the Ware Bros. sprinkler
>controller (with which I'm quite happy).
>
>Does anyone have suggestions about how to avoid these frequent
>failures?  Would some sort of filter protect it from noise or spikes
>burning it out?  I've read of Jeff Volp's XTB
>[http://jeffvolp.home.att.net], but this seems designed to boost
>outgoing X10 signals, not to protect the transmitter.
>
>Or shall I just program the Smarthome warranty replacement number into
>my speed dial?  :-)

The Ware Brothers site seems to be down so I couldn't find much information.
I did see one reference on a dealer site to an optional serial port to
interface with the PowerLinc II.

There is nothing else that uses that proprietary serial protocol so I think
you are stuck.

Have you tried Ware Brothers? I'm sure they've had a lot of similar
complaints - maybe they have an alternative.

http://davehouston.net