Smarthome PowerLinc 1132B frequent failures

I use a PowerLinc 1132B [http://www.smarthome.com/1132b.html] with a
Ware Brothers sprinkler controller [http://www.warebrothers.com].  It
sends X10 signals to control landscape lighting.

The 1132B fails fairly often, perhaps every six months or so.
Monitoring the X10 signals with another unit and the Synapse PC
software shows symptoms of seemingly garbled commands.

I order another unit and replace it, and the symptoms clear.  But then
several months later, the same problem recurs.

One highly unscientific test:  Malfunctioning units seem to smell of
burnt electronics, although opening the units doesn't reveal any
visible damage.

Judging by other posts on the newsgroup, the 1132B suffers from a
reputation of poor quality.  But I don't see an easy alternative, as
it's the only unit available compatible the Ware Bros. sprinkler
controller (with which I'm quite happy).

Does anyone have suggestions about how to avoid these frequent
failures?  Would some sort of filter protect it from noise or spikes
burning it out?  I've read of Jeff Volp's XTB
[http://jeffvolp.home.att.net], but this seems designed to boost
outgoing X10 signals, not to protect the transmitter.

Or shall I just program the Smarthome warranty replacement number into
my speed dial?  :-)

Thanks!
Larry Lang