Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:52:37 -0500, Bill Kearney <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, also consider that keeping a device based on RS-232 avoids having to
> make two units.  Just ship one, using serial, and make sure it plays well
> with various USB-serial adapters.  Yeah, it's nice when a unit has a direct

Yup.  I purchased a couple of UPS's recently with serial ports for
monitoring/control.  Also each came with a postcard for a free
USB<>RS232 converter.  And no, it isn't some special thing.  It is a
6inch cable with USB female device connector on one end and 9pin RS232
male on the other.  Works great with a USR Courier ca. 1991.

> adapters and they work great.  Saves a lot of hassles having just one USB
> port and driver on the PC and not a bunch of cheesy fleabay purchased
> adapters with conflicting drivers.

Definitely.

sdb

--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com