Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

> >Single port USB->RS232 adapters typically run $10-$20 online.  Granted,
> >some local stores like CompUSA and BestBuy may sell "branded" units like
> >Belkin (bleah) at 3X-5X higher prices.
>
> Which makes it uneconomical to add an FTDI or SiliconLabs USB-serial chip
> internally to embedded devices. It costs nearly as much as the external
> adapter.

Well, also consider that keeping a device based on RS-232 avoids having to
make two units.  Just ship one, using serial, and make sure it plays well
with various USB-serial adapters.  Yeah, it's nice when a unit has a direct
USB port on it but I can understand why some vendors might not want to
bother.  I run most of my serial gear off Edgeport multi-port usb-serial
adapters and they work great.  Saves a lot of hassles having just one USB
port and driver on the PC and not a bunch of cheesy fleabay purchased
adapters with conflicting drivers.

-Bill Kearney