Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

Dave Houston wrote:

>>>Which makes it uneconomical to add an FTDI or SiliconLabs USB-serial chip
>>>internally to embedded devices. It costs nearly as much as the external
>>>adapter.
>>
>>Well, also consider that keeping a device based on RS-232 avoids having to
>>make two units.  Just ship one, using serial, and make sure it plays well
>>with various USB-serial adapters.  Yeah, it's nice when a unit has a direct
>>USB port on it but I can understand why some vendors might not want to
>>bother.  I run most of my serial gear off Edgeport multi-port usb-serial
>>adapters and they work great.  Saves a lot of hassles having just one USB
>>port and driver on the PC and not a bunch of cheesy fleabay purchased
>>adapters with conflicting drivers.
>

> It's possible to support both but that adds the cost of the adapter to all
> of them adding to the cost for even those who do not need USB.
>
> The USB chips typically cost $3-5 plus a few caps, sometimes a crystal, plus
> a connector, as well as increasing board size. It adds $15-20 at retail and
> adds to the support burden.
>
> http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine.aspx?Ne=1447464+254016&Ntt=*TUSB3410IVF*&Ntx=mode%2bmatchall&Mkw=TUSB3410IVF&N=1323038&Ntk=Mouser_Wildcards

As I mentioned before you need to negotiate that. TI lists it at
$2.25/1k. That's always my "ammo" when haggling and I usually get things
down to that level. Nobody pays retail price ;-)

If it has to be really cheap check out the Thomson ST7260 which lowers
the bar to around $1:
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/12096.pdf

--
Regards, Joerg