Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:eY-dnX7bJ8h7WuvYnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > Since you have stated many times that X10 is a defective product, I
would
> > like to know exactly what you think is defective (in technical terms).
>
> Crappy build quality and inferior components ring any bells?  To say
nothing
> of horrible user experience (switch gear) and miserably bad software.

Ah, now I understand.  You are arguing the X10 company, not the X10
protocol.  I agree you get what you pay for in quality from X10.  But what
do you expect in a device that has to be made for a few bucks?  I never
liked the spongy mechanical feel to their wall switches.  While those worked
fine for almost two decades at our last house, we upgraded to Leviton here.

I can't comment on there recent software, but I was involved with their beta
test on the CM14A (precursor to the CM15A).  Usually all identified bugs
were resolved in a timely manner.  The only continuing problem for me was
the serial interface.  Everything else, including RF and macros, did what it
should, and I continued to use that unit for a couple of years after the
Beta test ended.

> > Considering what X10 modules must cost to manufacture, I'm impressed
that
> > they work so well.  How many other electronic devices can be bought for
> > few bucks and last for decades?
>
> Yeah, good, fast, cheap... pick two.  X10 doesn't even hit two of the
> points.  That it's inexpensive doesn't mean it's not crap.

Lets face it, X10 is after the low end market.  If you want "quality" X10
products, go with a company like Leviton.

> Seeing as how you're peddling a "solution" to the X10 problems it's rather
> disingenuous to believe any opinions you're spouting here.

Most of my posts have been directed at helping increase the reliability of
their X10 systems.  I always suggest identifying and isolating problem
devices first.  Usually 100% reliability can be achieved that way.  I often
have reported that I had virtually 100% reliability myself before adding the
XTB.  I offer that unit as an alternative to the repeaters that many people
use in larger houses.  And it is being offered barely above the cost of the
components themselves, especially in kit form.

Bottom line is that X10 (the protocol) is getting a raw deal from people
like yourself.  The AC power distribution in a typical home is a very
complex problem.  There are different ideas on how best to deal with that,
but as yet I don't see any clear winner.  RF can work fine on a clear
channel, but I certainly have enough experience with that medium to know its
limitations.

In summary, X10 CAN offer a lot of bang for the buck for people willing to
learn how to use it properly.

Jeff