Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 13:08:33 -0500, Robert L Bass <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> needs oil changes and periodic maintenance.
>> Some of them don't even work perfectly
>> "out of the box", and have to visit the
>> dealer several times to get their quirks
>> ironed out.
>
> This is where we disagree, Jeff.  I've purchased three new cars and
> two new motorcycles in the past three years.  All of them require
> periodic oil changes (something I choose not to DIY).  None of them
> required any tweaking "out of the box" to be able to use

No warranty fixes or corrections?  Any dealer-prep items either before
or after you took delivery of the vehicle?

(and if you say 'no', it means you don't understand the role of a car
dealer very well)

>> So if one accepts this from a $20,000 item...
>
> Ah, but I don't.  I bought an Odyssey van last year.  It has satellite
> radio, a touchscreen GPS navigation system and lots of other

So having priced Odyssey's in late 2004 / early 2005, I know yours was
closer to $40,000 than $20,000.  Stripped down they didn't even get down
to $20,000 sticker, but perhaps if you could find a bare model the
dealer might take a loss just to get rid of the low-end inventory.

Further, your Honda is reputed to be one of the brands with the fewest
number of post-delivery issues.  Many people have a different
experience, even with premium brands like Jaguar or Mercedes.

Comparing the purchase experience of a > $30,000 vehicle (with
its associated dealer setup and delivery) to a mail-order or Radio Shack
provided system for well under $300 you should have different
expectations.

With that said, my X10 system is misbehaving, and yes, it is
frustrating!  :)  However, at my price point it is X10 or nothing, so
X10 it is.  And I have corresponding expectations.

IMHO X10 does themselves a disservice by hiding the troubleshooting
information and even the official documentation of potential problems
behind their "Pro" site.

sdb
--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com