Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

"Robert L Bass" <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:i7mdnal2Lfxsr-nYnZ2dnUVZ_rydnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Only a hardwired system can be guaranteed
> > to be virtually 100% reliable (assuming power
> > is available).  Everything else is at the mercy
> > of other devices communicating over the
> > same medium.
>
> I think that is the point, Jeff.  While X10 certainly can be made to
> work with enough tweaking, filtering, etc., it is a medium that
> is prone to problems.  Even experienced users frequently start
> lengthy threads here about problems with lost signals, failed
> components and stuff turning on/off for no apparent reason.

Back before I really understood X10, I would have agreed with you.  There
was a time when I was tweaking to make it work.  Back then everybody was
talking about interference and how noise sources had to be filtered.  Well
it turns out that the major problem for X10 isn't from noise sources, but
"signal suckers".  They are usually devices with a simple capacitor across
their power input to meet the FCC conducted radiation standard.  Those
manufacturers don't care if their devices corrupt other signals on the line.
They just use the cheapest fix possible to meet FCC regulations.

The most important thing I did to increase reliability was to get an Elk
ESM1 signal level meter.  Then I could really see the major problem was low
signal levels, not noise.  It can take some time to go through the house to
identify and isolate those signal suckers.  The important thing is to
provide decent signal levels throughout the house.  Unfortunately, an
inexpensive X10 transmitter can't provide the drive necessary for a larger
house, and some type of booster may be required.

Yes, there are noise sources too.  Prime candidates are compact fluorescent
bulbs, and "wireless" intercoms such as baby monitors.  I reported elsewhere
that 4 generic (cheap) CF bulbs radiated enough noise to cause problem.
However, that is easily solved with a $25 filter.

> No doubt you're able to successfully maintain your X10 stuff.  But
> most people, even most DIYers I know, just don't want to put up
> with the quirky behavior of X10.  The goal in designing a system is
> to make it work "out of the box" and continue to function,
> regardless what new PC's, UPS's or other gear one acquires down
> the road.  In this respect, IMO X10 fails miserably.  I don't use it
> and I won't recommend it to customers.

When you buy a car, you understand it needs oil changes and periodic
maintenance.  Some of them don't even work perfectly "out of the box", and
have to visit the dealer several times to get their quirks ironed out.  So
if one accepts this from a $20,000 item, why bitch endlessly when one has to
do some maintenance to keep X10 running?    Provide a decent signal level,
and it works fine.

Jeff