Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:a0Cch.142436

<stuff snipped>

> The basic problem that is we design with the information available at the
> time.  Unfortunately, in this technology driven environment, things
change.
> Some of us choose to deal with change by working the problems.

Think of the technologies of the early 80's and what little there is left of
it.  Silver based photography, records, cassettes and more all went the way
of the dodo.  X-10 has remained, as has the venerable floppy disk, but even
that will disappear with the newest MS OS, Vista  Finally, the need to
insert a floppy with drivers for specialized controllers will disappear and
so will the floppy.

X-10 has remained because it's offered an awful lot of bang for the buck,
especially when measured by cost.  X-10's expense is quite low both in terms
of both purchase and years of life gotten from each piece of equipment.
Yes, I'm spending a bit to compensate for X-10's numerous issues, but those
issues are compensible, and lots of problems in this world aren't, no matter
how much money you throw at them.  Having seen both kinds of problems, I
prefer the ones that can be solved.

I'm both happy that there's something available to help extend X-10's life
and that I can directly compensate the guy who invented it at the same time.
It's important that people be rewarded for their ideas and there seem to be
less and less opportunities for that in the increasingly faceless corporate
world of ours.

--
Bobby G.