Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

news:4572d5d7.172202953@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >And saying that, you believe that LutronRA is immune from the same
problems
> >that hobbled X-10?  Do they have a lock on how many RF devices are going
> >appear in the average house 30 years from now?  I doubt it.  They are
going
> >to be vulnerable to the same issues that X-10 faced - namely more and
more
> >interference from other devices on their chosen transmission medium.
Tell
> >us your FCC ID number.  That way we can look up who else has access to
that
> >frequency and what the potential for future trouble might be.  Again, to
> >fairly compare, we need a crystal ball to see what Lutron will be up
against
> >in RF interference 30 years from now.
>
> IIRC they use 418MHz ASK which is shared with all the Powermids (and
similar
> IR extenders), Philips Pronto (and similar RF-capable touchscreen
remotes),
> etc. so the potential for interference is there. However, any such device
> that is following FCC rules on radiated power will have very limited range
> so, as a practical matter, it's only on-site devices that might cause
> problems.

The same frequency as Powermids?  How ironic.  I thought the issue in RF
interference is whether the radiated power of the interfering transmitter
was equal to or greater than that of the 'legitmate' transmitter as measured
at the receiver.

The rest of the article talked about a range around the transmitter of about
10 miles that was affected by the new AF radio system.  As someone who still
hears the occasional trucker coming through my stereo speakers, not all
transmitters play by FCC rules.  (-:

> Unfortunately, RadioRA uses a very long and complex code which makes it
> difficult to use directly with something like the Pronto.

Maybe it's very long because it's got tremendous redundancy and resistance
to any one part of the transmission being garbled.  Maybe.

--
Bobby G.