Re: XTB-II 2-Phase Version

news:44dbca05.146670468@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Just to avoid confusion, roZetta will send/receive X-10, Insteon or UPB
but
> _only_ via some type of powerline interface (e.g. 2414S, UPB PIM, CM11A or
> TW523). It doesn't eliminate the need for an interface and the initial
> release will require a TW523 or PL513 (or a 12V AC transformer) in order
> supply a ZC signal to controllers like JDS, HomeVision, Ocelot, etc.
>
> Jeff will have to answer whether XTB can pass Insteon without distortion.
> I'll try to test this a bit in a week or two - Jeff sent me a prototype
XTB.
> If it amplifies the Insteon signal, it _may_ exacerbate the Insteon
flicker
> problem. There's also the possibility that it will cause a phase shift in
> the Insteon signal which could be a problem since Insteon has to be able
> clearly distinguish between two distinct phase states of its control
signal
> - that's what carries the information.
>
> I suspect (but again will defer to Jeff) that XTB & UPB will not get along
> very well.

The XTB cannot be used to boost the output of an Insteon transmitter.
Testing I did with a couple of Insteon modules produced different results
depending on the time of day.  Insteon uses a different modulation scheme to
obtain the higher bandwidth, and that may be a factor.  The XTB was designed
to boost X10 signal levels, and it would have been a bonus if it could also
boost Insteon transmissions.

I understantd the XTB is being used in several mixed X10 / Insteon
installations to combat signal loss caused by multiple Insteon devices.
Perhaps those users could report on any incompatibilities they have
observed.

A TW523 or CM11A can provide the X10 interface for roZetta.  If a 2-phase
version of the XTB includes a microcontroller to gate the 1 mS pulses, that
microcontroller could provide a X10 line transceiver similar to the TW523.