Re: Smoke alarms (was Re: For Graham, Rober, and Coppernob)

>> NFPA 72-2002 11.7.6.7  Installations that include the connection of
>> single- or multiple-station alarms with other input or output devices,
>> such as but not limited to relay modules, remote signaling devices, phone
>> dialers, security panels, heat detectors, and manual pull stations, shall
>> be permitted, providing that an open or short circuit of the wiring
>> leading to these input or output devices does not prevent normal operation
>> of the single- or multiple-station alarm.

The problem which Mr. Olson is ignoring (and I must conclude that he
does so deliberately as he has had ample time to find the US code and
knows full well what he advocates is against it) is that the devices
MUST be listed for use with a fire alarm.  Olson can claim that a
residential alarm with smoke detectors connected, installed by a DIYer
does not constitute a fire alarm but he is wrong.  There is simply no
waiver of self-installed systems in code.  There is also no waicver of
the requirement that componentys be "listed for the purpose" by the
manufacturer in the snipet he quoted above.

As to the forum you mention, comments made there are (like those here)
mostly supposition.  If you want the truth of thge matter, ask your
local inspector.  He has the final say on the matter.  In fact, as the
"authority having jurisdiction" (AHJ), he is the arbiter of the
interpretation and application of the code.

Please note that Mr. Olson lives in Canada and, based upon his many
stories in a certain other newsgroup, he has never worked in the US.
He has no experience dealing with AHJ's or, for that matter, code in
the US.  If readers are looking for information on installing or
modifying smoke detection systems anywhere in the USA, I strongly
advise they take his advice with a large grain of salt.

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics
The DIY Home Automation Store