Re: RFID for HA

"Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote in message
news:1331814@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In article <e0ves8$53g$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (E.
> Lee Dickinson) writes:
>
> | This strikes me as a terrific idea. The whole reason I'm interested in
> RFID
> | is to know if my cars are in the driveway. If both are gone, temperature
> | adjusts, doors lock, roomba vacuums... etc.

<snip snip>

> It is critical for the car-based device to boot up and start responding
> to queries before the car gets out of range when starting/leaving.  Even
> many DOS-based laptops waste a lot of time in the POST, making them
> useless.

Don,

Thanks for your response. I've been mulling this over for a few weeks now,
trying to figure how to slim this down even more. I was thinking of
something as simple as a USB access point in the car, with a script to
detect when its mac address showed up on the network.  Problem there is one
you've already identified:  You need some sort of uptime to tell the
difference between an arriving car and a starting car.

This is very interesting to me, and I'll continue to persue it and let you
all know what I come up with.

Anyone else have any ideas?  Wifi instead of RFID.. the $500 cost savings
have me drooling.

:Lee

E. Lee Dickinson
Entertainment Design and Technology