Re: RFID for HA

In article <e20iak$sed$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (E. Lee Dickinson) writes:

| Thanks for your response. I've been mulling this over for a few weeks now,
| trying to figure how to slim this down even more. I was thinking of
| something as simple as a USB access point in the car, with a script to
| detect when its mac address showed up on the network.

I'm not sure why you'd want to involve USB, and you don't want an access
point so much as a client device.

|Problem there is one
| you've already identified:  You need some sort of uptime to tell the
| difference between an arriving car and a starting car.

Happily, the uptime counter is available from just about any SNMP agent.
As I mentioned, the Aironet BSE device (e.g., BSE340, BSE342) is a good
choice for the in-car device.  Sometimes you can get them quite cheaply
on eBay.  Even if you don't use Aironet products for your wireless
infrastructure the BSE will still be able to connect and you will be able
to query its uptime.  (You won't be able to use it as a bridge to an
in-car Ethernet, but that may not matter.)

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com