Re: RFID for HA

"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The $12 (in quantity; scheduled to ship 3rd quarter 2006) G2501 chip
> performs active RFD over standard 802.11b WIFI.  Battery life using two
> AA's is projected at 5 years.
>
> The chip is programmed through a url and "uses existing WIFI wireless
> access points on the network, meaning no new network installation is
> required" if a WIFI network exists.

This strikes me as a terrific idea. The whole reason I'm interested in RFID
is to know if my cars are in the driveway. If both are gone, temperature
adjusts, doors lock, roomba vacuums... etc.

So I don't even need a small battery powered chip. It could be bigger. A MCU
with an off-the-shelf USB access point. Or one of the smaller chip
solutions, but not wallet-sized.

Anyone have any ideas?