Re: Upgrade HomeSeer to 2.0 ?

I'm just finishing up support for a pure-software based solution that allows
us to access serial ports at our customer's homes. So you'll just need to
have CQC installed at the client side and that will allow us to connect to a
device there and do development of serially based drivers. I think that this
will make a big difference in our ability to support new devices since we
don't have to have them sent here or buy them ourselves. The customer can
just give us access to the serial port.

We were initally going to use an IP based multi-port card, but they are
somewhat expensive and we'd only have a limited number of them to send
around. So I just said the heck with it and did a software based version.
Our product is built on our own very extensive object framework, so
abstracting a serial port was pretty straightforward. The driver development
tools just allow you to enable access to a remote serial port server running
at the customer's site, which they can run and enable when needed, and his
ports show up as local ports to the driver development tools.

We could already do IP based devices this way of course, I did the Sony
Qualia driver like that, and it worked out quit well. But serial devices
were always a problem. That's a hole that we've now closed. I'll be adding 4
very useful new drivers over the next week using this new feature.

Try that with Homeseer :-)

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com