Re: Battery Boxes...What One Company Designed

"Too_Many_Tools" <too_many_tools@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I should mention that I was really surprised that the box relied on
> only a passive system (a couple of small vents in the back) to vent
> hydrogen.
>
> Is this common with commercial equipment?
>
> The box is stamped with UL and NEC approvals.
>
> TMT

Sealed lead acid batteries don't vent hydrogen like a standard wet cell
(that only happens if the charger malfunctions).  In fact they're designed
to "recycle" it within the battery.  Here's a link to a fairly well known
manufacturer.

http://www.gsbattery.com/sla/PDF/SLATechInfo.pdf

GS Batteries has been around for many years.  They're the only batteries
Edwards installs in their fire alarm systems (in Canada at least).  The Rep
for Western Canada used to show a video of the manufacturing plant in Japan.
The building was huge (covered many acres), and there were only seven people
working there because everything's automated (at least back in 1987).  I'm
not entirely sure that most of the processes weren't controlled by earlier
versions of Elk Magic Modules...  :-))