powerline shielding for touchpanel

I have a touchpanel and I had to replace a section of the power wire
running from the panel to the controller.  it works exactly as
expected, however the panel is now darker on one side (the side where
the new wire runs)...so I am assuming this is some sort of electrical
inteference.  The original power wire has a lot more insulation and a
lower guage than my wire.  If this is the problem, any idea how I can
sheild this wire to eliminate any interference?  If I am off...any idea
why the touch panel would be doing this?

thanks in advance!

steve